Now in its second year the Scent and Taste course delves into the mechanisms of scented plants and the different tastes to be found in the plant kingdom. It looks at the ways we can understand and better appreciate these individual characteristics in plants. A series of lecturers will talk on their specific subjects using different plants and well-known plant collections to explain the processes. The course is based at The Garden Museum and there will be garden visits to selected scented and culinary plant collections.
Magnolia ‘Lois’ has a sweet musky scent
The course covers the following subjects over a total of 10 days.
- Scented plants – identification of different scents in plants from roots and stems through to flowers, fruit and seeds
- Understanding the mechanism for scent, both in plants and how scent is detected by our senses
- Practical study days at RBG Kew using identifying techniques to recognise different scented plants
- Identifying the best way to grow scented plants
- Visit plant collections and nurseries (safaris) (Hampton Court Palace, West Dean, herb nurseries, orchards, vineyards) to see plants growing and assess the scent
- Identifying scent at species and cultivar level and understanding scent characteristics within plant families
- Identifying different tastes and the mechanisms for detecting them in plants to species and cultivar levels including tea and coffee
- Gin distillery and vineyard visits. Understanding and tasting days to explain the process and how this affects the products
- Introduction to different plants for their culinary and medicinal uses and observing different cooking techniques and how this affects taste
Course Dates 2017-2018
The course will run over ten days on the following Thursdays. 21st September 2017 , 19th October 16th November, 30th November ,18th January 2018, 22nd February, 22nd March,19th April ,17th May and 21st June
Course dates 2018-2019
The course dates are yet to be confirmed.
This course is being considered for a certificate.
The fees for the course are £1395.00